23 September 2008

More thoughts on the “Rainbow Nation” …


In a previous entry I expanded on my South African roots and view, mentioning that I would have more to say at some later point. Well, I think the events of the past few weeks resulting in President Thabo Mbeki's resignation make this a good time to say something – these are my views, perspectives and thoughts as a (global) nomad born in South Africa. Forgive me for quoting a movie but there’s a line in the recent Batman film that goes as follows: “You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain”. I would say that this can be said of numerous leaders, heroes and freedom-fighters throughout history including Mbeki. There is so much being said and written about the current state of affairs that I’m going to stick to two thoughts (after all I’m not much more than an interested observer).

Without excusing any of the questionable actions his has taken over the course of his years in office I will say that at least to some degree he was almost doom to fail. After the Mandela years (a transition period) I believe there were at least some expectations of the promised RDP getting into full-swing under Mbeki – but how do you turn around over three centuries of oppression in just a few years? Call me a cynic, but I doubt that anyone would have been able to match the expectations of the people with the resources available. Theoretically one could say that someone might have been able to a better job, but Mbeki was the man at the helm. So he was bound to disappoint on some level and yes he has been accused of not doing enough to turn poverty around – personally I’d be interesting to hear ways in which poverty may have been successfully eradicated or at least lessened in this short space of time. I really would like to hear these opinions, if there are any because I’m trying to understand this whole arena a bit better.

Another criticism of Mbeki is that he has been too much of a thinker (as you can see from the cartoon at the beginning of this entry). At the very least I have to wonder if the very experiences that prepared and enabled him to lead the nation and the ANC (such as his life and education abroad), also did irrevocable damage to his connection with the populace – a major advantage Zuma has over him. In the end Mbeki appears to have failed his party because they believe he didn’t do the job he needed to do (or was that just an excuse to get him out of the way). This is a complex issue and one that the most informed and educated people will struggle to summarise in a few paragraphs, but these are my thoughts. One other thing that comes to mind is that in removing Mbeki from office Zuma and his supporters may have inadvertently done something important for democracy in South Africa – something that I have been expecting for a few years now… more about that in my next entry!

Below are links to a few articles on recent developments:

"Mbeki failed South Africa, says UK paper"


"It's unfair and unjust - Mbeki"

"Mbeki down but not out"

"Mbeki appeal not far-fetched: expert"

No comments: