11 September 2008

On this day in 2008; yes TODAY…

Today, across the USA and possibly parts of the world too people are remembering the tragic and arguably preventable events which occurred on Tuesday, 11 September 2001 and which resulted in the deaths of nearly three thousand people. Without a doubt many of us remember those images of the Twin Towers and perhaps even remember where we were when we first heard.

But I thought I’d take on this opportunity to remember another tragic and preventable occurrence taking place today – the death of 16,000 children due to poverty, hunger, malnutrition and everything else that goes with it. But I guess that’s not really news-worthy, not to mention that those children are somewhere else out of sight so probably out of mind, not so?

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest and air this sense of frustration I feel with the systematic impoverishment of those who don’t seem to matter. Some might ask me what I’m doing about this. Well, nothing directly at the moment but I guess I’m increasing my awareness; I’m educating myself, for now. But, for now I’ll close with something from a well-known (and occasionally controversial) 21st century leader…

"where you [are from] should not decide whether you live or whether you die..."

PS: There will be another 16,000 tomorrow…

No comments: