18 August 2008

Who is to blame?

I am a South African guy – I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned that before – but I have not lived there for a while. I’ve been living in a few different countries and I have not only been learning about the world around me, but also a bit more about myself. So, recently I have been watching a few videos on www.youtube.com regarding the state of the nation in South Africa (RSA), where we have been and the progress (or lack thereof) that has been made in recent years.

Saying that these videos have been ‘eye-opening’ would not be the truth because there aren’t any significantly new ideas or opinions coming out of these videos. What I do find interesting is to see this kind of ‘dialogue’ actually taking place in some forum – these issues aren’t regularly discussed in everyday life, although perhaps in some circles such as university classes. Some of the videos I’ve been watching have names such as “South Africa: What about White People” or “South Africa: The Racist Capital of the World”. Quite honestly I’m not sure what to say about any of this at the moment (there’s so much to say that I’m not sure where to start). One thing though is that I see RSA as being a microcosm of the issues at play in the world at large - know what I mean? Anyway, that’s all I’m going to say for now… One thing I do notice is that there is a bit of a blame-game going on here at least from one side of the dialogue…

PS: I’ve included the address of some videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHPKhVmgtJM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GLVdgA1jJU

No comments: